Wisdom for a Fulfilling and Enlightened Life: Lessons from Living Books

 Three Libraries for a Meaningful Life

We need three types of libraries for people: a library of books, a library of travel, and a library of living beings. Let me first talk about the library of books. Books are our capital. Make friends with books, and you won't need any worldly friends. It is my personal experience that no book in the world is useless. Even the worst book will give you something. It will teach you something. Badly written books also have their own value. At a minimum, they will educate you on what to avoid.Books are our first library.


Lessons from living books


The Library of Travel

The second library is travel. Traveling is a great means of learning, understanding, and expressing gratitude to Allah. Don't do anything in life, just start traveling. In a few days, you will become wise, knowledgeable, and literate. Allah has given me the opportunity to see His world from the South Pole to the North Pole. I am continuously traveling for four days. This is Allah's special grace. Most of my friends travel after reading. They gather all the information about a place before going there and then they visit. My way of traveling is a bit different. I first go there and then read about it when I come back. This way, everything about that place becomes a part of my memory. If I cannot go outside the country due to some compulsion, I go to a historical place within Pakistan. I am ignorant of centuries, unfit, and not very intelligent.

The Library of Living Beings

If I hadn't traveled or made friends with books, I might have become foolish and ignorant. I would have become a story listener. It is books and travel that have kept me alive, that have given me the ability to think and understand. The Library of Living Beings.

And the ultimate library is the library of living beings. Experiences make a person's character, and every person is a letter of experience. Every letter of a person is a human being. I am also fascinated by interesting, artistic, talented, and successful people.

I personally hold the belief that individuals in this world can be broadly classified into two categories: those who are captivating and those who are uninteresting. I'm constantly searching for interesting people, who are like a library to me. I've learned all the practical lessons of life from these living human libraries. For example, I had an elder friend named Sheikh Abdul Hafeez. I learned a lot from him. May Allah bless him abundantly. He used to say, "In the nation where we reside, unforeseen circumstances can arise at any moment, impacting anyone.". Therefore, be prepared for any kind of bad news at all times."

Never sit in the first train

I observe something or the other happening with people every day, and it reminds me of Sheikh Sahib. I asked my elder friend why he always left two seats empty when he sat down. He answered, "If you are sitting in someone's home or office, leave the two seats closest to the door for the master of the house and his personal guests. Both you and the host will benefit, and if you are sitting in a public place, never sit in the first train because I always saw people in a better position than me willingly giving up their seats for others. When the person sitting in the first train gets up, they find a seat in the last train or on the stairs."


If you want to avoid this behavior, try not to sit in the first or second train. Sit in the third or fourth train. Stay in your seat. My elder friend always stayed in the second position in life. He was an extremely capable person but never became the head of any organization. The government tried many times, but he always refused. I asked him why, and he said, "Most people in the world try for the first position."

Always remain in the second position

If you find yourself in the top position, it will be challenging to sustain that position indefinitely. So always leave the bus seat empty. Your respect and ego will be saved. He used to say, "Always remain in the second position. If your performance deteriorates, you will go to the third position at most. Make an effort and come back to the second position. But if you go to the first position first, a little wind will blow, and you will be thrown to zero." He used to say, "I have seen my entire life being humiliated in the first position."


There is not a single example in my life where the first position went home with respect, while all my second positions in life left with farewell celebrations. He used to say, "No one can give anyone anything except Allah. So spread your hands only before Allah, who even spreads the palms of kings. Humans are like donkeys. What will donkeys give to horses?" He used to say, "You have nothing left in the end except goodness and your family. So don't waste the opportunity to do good and take your family along with you."

He used to say, "Even in challenging times, support your adversary. You will never be at a disadvantage. They used to say that Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, serves as a protector for the vulnerable. Embrace helplessness, and your honor will be preserved," they used to say. "Avoid taking or giving loans. You will have a fulfilling life."


I inquired, "But what if your close friend is facing financial difficulties?" They replied, "Assist them promptly to the best of your ability, but avoid providing assistance in the form of a loan." My older friend used to say, "A person who sits among others, pointing out your flaws or offering advice, is never truly your friend. They harbor jealousy towards you. Steer clear of them," they used to say. "Don't trust someone who fails to uphold their commitments and be punctual." 


Lessons from living books


The importance of family and faith

They used to say, "If a person neglects their own family, they cannot care for others either. What contribution can someone make to others if they neglect their own and their family's welfare?" They used to express, "There is no greater folly in this world than disbelief. Why? Because they lack awareness of reality. Dignity, livelihood, and strength are entrusted to Allah.He gives them as He sees fit, at any time He chooses, and takes them away as He pleases, when the time is ripe. Therefore, do not place your trust in disbelief. Repent, repent! What greater foolishness can there be?" My older friend used to say, "Food is what you have consumed. Clothing is what you have worn. Happiness is what you have felt. And the bed is where you have slept. Everything else merely comprises numbers and balance sheets, and these figures and sheets hold no practical value."


They used to say, "Even in a humble abode, prioritize a comfortable bed, warm nourishment, and a well-lit bedroom."Adapt to weather conditions—stay cool in summers and warm in winters." They used to say, "Invest as much as you can in business and children. You will never suffer losses." They used to say, "Good neighbors bring advantages. Even in a modest dwelling, you will find happiness. However, if you lack good neighbors, then sell the mansion. Happiness cannot be found there," they used to say. They used to say, "Never work for someone who burdens your heart, mind, and conscience. Why? Because the job may vanish one day, but you will endure suffering for a lifetime." These insightful teachings are my true treasure. They are always with me. I have gained knowledge from them. Be supportive, assist others, and live harmoniously with your family.


Uphold your promises, adhere to the law, respect time, appreciate nature, and revere Allah With God's help, no one can harm you. With effort, you can overcome any challenge. With patience, you can achieve anything. I have learned that time is the ultimate remedy. And I have learned that one should neither have too little nor too much wealth. Why? Because with too little, one suffers, and with too much, one becomes accountable. Humans are relieved from suffering, but they cannot escape accountability. I immerse myself in these profound teachings daily. Seek out these enlightening teachings. You too will lead a fulfilling and enlightened life.